Saturday 22 November 2014

Stop, Rain and Start Again

So, this NaNoWriMo thing? Done. I finished 50,000 words yesterday, got the badge and the virtual goodie bag.

One spiky detail, embedded in the laurels I'm about to sit on: the story itself is only half way through.

In the meantime, Bali is becoming more and more of a sauna: humid heat like blankets wrapped around my chest. Clouds, sometimes a rumbling of thunder but no rain. We are in the purgatory before the wet season. We walk about with a sheen of sweat on our shoulders, and each breath is too short, incomplete (but that could be just my hay-fevered self...)

I take this temporary discomfort - and any other that may haunt me - and pass it on to a random character; how is that for an added benefit of writing?

Similarly, I close my eyes and type - and in the story it begins to rain. Not any rain: a deluge, a flood; leaving the world clean and clear. 

4 comments:

  1. "I take this temporary discomfort - and any other that may haunt me - and pass it on to a random character; how is that for an added benefit of writing?"

    I really enjoyed reading this bit especially! I think I need to do this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .. there's a knack to it: do it completely - pretend it's just your hero's little drama - then lock him in a room and leave him there.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I've been one of your 'oldest' supporters, and love your writing, so am really looking forward to reading this novel. When it's ready, when you're happy with it and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, S - I shall certainly try to oblige! Hey, by the way, I love your writings as well (and lately have been taking notes of books to read)! xxx

      Delete